Your standard salad gets an upgrade with flavorful sundried tomatoes and roasted red pepper, protein- and fiber-packed lentils and creamy feta. The perfect healthy, satisfying lunch or dinner that will keep you full for hours!
HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE I'M SO EXCITED I CAN BARELY CONTAIN IT!
I don't even have anything that special planned this weekend - lunch with a friend at Lauriol Plaza tomorrow, making a carrot cake with my friend Amanda, going to watch the Super Bowl with some friends and probably ingest too much cheese and guacamole - but I'm just really excited for the weekend. I mean, I woke up on TUESDAY of this week thinking it was Saturday. Tuesday. That's bad, y'all.
Anyway, in celebration of the weekend, we're making a salad! I mean, you need to have some balance if you expect to fit into your weekend hoe clothes, of course. My weekend hoe-ing is V important to me.
Not to mention the other benefits of all the antioxidants in this salad! Let's break it down:
- Lentils are packed with protein & fiber to make this salad filling, aid in digestion and help you build muscle
- Cucumbers are PACKED with water, and I think we have all had it ingrained in us by now that more water = clear skin, better health, OVERALL AMAZING FOR YOU
- Sundried Tomatoes are packed with lycopene, which is associated with lower risk of cancer, as well as Vitamins K, C and iron
- Roasted Red Peppers are a great source of Vitamin C (which helps absorb iron!), as well as Vitamin B6 and Folate (prevent anemia) and Vitamin A (improve vision)
- Feta is really freaking salty and tangy and creamy and delicious
SO BASICALLY THIS SALAD GIVES YOU SUPER POWERS OK?! And super powers are EXACTLY what I need if my ass is expecting to find a Valentine. Which I'm not. But y'all should come visit me for Valentine's Day at Hawthorne!!!
Anyway, I'll stop rambling. Make this salad. Eat this salad. Live your best life.
Mediterranean Lentil Salad
Gather your ingredients! Two heads of romaine, a cucumber, a jar of roasted red peppers (or roast them yourself if you're #blessed enough to have a gas stove), a jar of sundried tomatoes, half a red onion, some lentils, and some feta.
First, you'll make your lentils! Combine 1 cup of lentils with 2.5 cups of water in a pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, until fork tender.
Next up, we're prepping our vegetables! Chop up your romaine, slice your cucumber, dice your onion, chop your roasted red peppers, drain and rinse your sundried tomatoes.
Once your lentils are ready, we're good to go! The rest couldn't be easier, guys. Combine all your ingredients in a large bowl and mix it on up! I tossed this with a store bought Italian dressing to serve #lazy but you could also whip up your own vinaigrette. Balsamic would be great! Or Caesar? Live your best life.
Have a great weekend, y'all! Please send me pics of all your Super Bowl snacks so I know I'm not the only one pigging out. We're all in this together! *cue High School Musical dance moves*