Cake for breakfast? Why not, when you're packing in a full serving of veggies, healthy fats, and fiber before 9 AM! These overnight oats have all the flavor of a classic carrot cake with none of the guilt.
WOAH. Woah. Woooah. I know what you're thinking - Jess, are you off your rocker? You're telling us you can take some oatmeal and some veggies, mix it with some vegan and gluten free ingredients and NO refined sugar, and claim it tastes like CAKE?!
Well, friends, I am. And it DOES.
Let's explore the facts:
- This past weekend was Cinco de Mayo
- I celebrated wholeheartedly on Cinco de Mayo and Seis de Mayo before TOOOOTALLY oversleeping my alarm on Siete de Mayo and, henceforth, being late to my shift at LOFT/being ridiculously hungover all day/nearly puking after spending 20 lazy minutes on the elliptical at my gym (still counts as a workout?? please say yes)
- An hour after I had finished at the gym, I was still unshowered, disgusting, hungover, and grating a carrot for this oatmeal in my kitchen while complaining to my roommate about my guy problems.
...and I had a date in... 20 minutes? Whatever, he could wait. #WasteHisTime2017 in full force.
See, I've had many a hangover in my day, and I know that the best way to get over them (other than sleeping for 36 hours/drinking MORE) is to pack my body full of nutrients. What better time to start than at breakfast? It is the most important meal of the day, after all! Thus, these carrot cake overnight oats were born.
With the cinnamon and vanilla flavorings that signify a classic carrot cake, creamy sweetness of vanilla almond milk and honey, a full carrot, and healthy fats from chia seeds, you really can't go wrong. Make these at night, and get ready for an effortless breakfast tomorrow morning!
Carrot Cake Overnight Oats
To make 1 serving of these oats, you will need:
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 T honey (or agave)
- 1 T chia seeds
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1 medium carrot, grated
Ok, friends. As with most overnight oats recipes, the only step here is to stir all your ingredients together in a bowl - oatmeal, almond milk, honey, chia, cinnamon, vanilla, and carrot. That's it! The hardest part is grating the carrot, and even that's fun - especially if you're using it to procrastinate showering. Messy hair don't care?
In the morning, while you're frazzled and frizzled and all tied-up about why your date hasn't texted you yet* (it's been, like 8 hours?!) just grab these oats out of the fridge, relish in your vegetable serving, and take on the day!
*It's because he's the worst, still lives with Mom and Dad at age 25, and is intimidated by a smart woman with ambition, FYI. Not that I'm talking about any one date in particular...