Hello, hello! Happy New Year, everyone! I hope you had a wonderful New Years Eve full of fun, friends and laughter. And now, onto a blank slate/time period where I will be consistently writing and subsequently crossing out '2017' in the date. Fun!
As we usher in the new year, there are some (okay, a lot) of ideas in mind for how to improve Scones! One of which is a month-in-review series, with two main goals:
1) Collect all the recipes for the month in one place to make them easier for you to access; and to
2) Let me see what I've accomplished on a monthly basis to keep myself motivated and on track.
So, let's see what happened in December, shall we?
1. Spicy Chickpea and Spinach Curry (V & GF) // 2. Double Chocolate Brownie Cookies // 3. Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad (GF) // 4. Christmas Lights Cupcakes // 5. Peppermint Chocolate Cake Roll // 6. Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups with Baileys Mousse Filling // 7. Cranberry-Orange Biscotti // 8. Smoky Sweet Potato and Lentil Chili (V & GF) // 9. Champagne Cupcakes with Raspberry Filling
- I successfully planned and helped throw my work team's holiday party!
- I found a new recipe plugin and started the process of adding printable, compact recipes to all the posts here on Scones. It's a process, but I'm aiming to have everything converted by the end of January!
- ...and, in that vein, I'm working to add metadata to each recipe so that all Pins from this website appear with the recipe in the description, to make it easier for you to see the ingredients and level of effort directly from your Pinterest home page.
- I hosted trivia 8 times and gave successful romantic advice to at least one of my participants.
- Finally, last night I prepared an Italian spread of Bruschetta, Caprese Salad, Chocolate Cream Puffs, Strawberry Champagne Cake Balls and Champagne for my friends, and the full day of work was so worth it to see my friends so happy!
Over the last few months, I've realized that I spend wayyyy too much time reading blogs and not nearly enough reading books. Like, I read on the Metro, but is that enough?
My dearest mother, the psychic, surprised me on Christmas with an Amazon Fire tablet and it has changed my LIFE when it comes to reading. I'm reading on the elliptical, then treadmill, before bed, when I wake up - I'm unstoppable! So here are the books I've been enjoying this month.
- "Everything is Awful" - Matt Bellassai.
You may know Matt as the Buzzfeed guy who gets wine drunk and rants on video, aka my dream job. Well, now he's... still that guy, but he wrote a book! A very, very hysterical memoir about growing up as a gay man that I highly recommend to everyone. This was one of those books where I was so sad when it ended.
- "The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo" - Amy Schumer
Say what you will about Amy's comedy and movies, I think the woman is funny. Her memoir is no exception - I definitely got some weird looks when I would openly smile and laugh at my book on the Metro.
And, in the queue for January, we have:
- "Men Explain Things to Me" - Rebecca Solnit
- "Can't Just Stop: An Investigation of Compulsions" - Sharon Begley
- "The Influential Mind: What The Brain Reveals About Our Power to Change Others" - Tali Sharot
- "You're Not That Great (But Neither is Anyone Else)" - Elan Gale (one of the producers of the Bachelor! Please choose me for next season I love your work!!)
Also, I recently got back on Goodreads after abandoning it for a brief stint (um, like 6 years) so be my friend please! :)
Finally, some of my favorite things from this month:
I've been working on compiling a guide to the best coffee shops in DC, but I keep getting stuck because I love Tryst so much and it's hard for me to justify going elsewhere! Like, do you SEE this Lebanese Baguette dealio that I had for New Years brunch today? Incredible. An old teacher of mine just recommended their Lavender Latte, so like, now I have to go back tomorrow. Shame, right?
The Betches Podcasts
It's no secret or surprise that I am a HUGE fan of The Betches and have been reading their website and books for as long as I can remember. Their podcasts Betch Slapped and U Up? (with Jared Freid from TFM!) are no exception to this rule. Hovering at just about 30 minutes, they make my Wednesday and Thursday commutes SO much better. Highly recommend if you're a fan of their brand of humor!
Hummingbird High's Vietnamese Iced Coffee Cake
My friend Reena recently made this cake and posted about it on Instagram and ever since then I haven't been able to get it out of my head. Michelle is a goddess and a genius and I want to be her SO bad. Don't be shocked if you see this pop up on my Instagram this month, because I am a girl on a mission.
And, that's a wrap! Goodbye December, farewell 2017. Here's to a fantastic, fruitful and FUN 2018!